Mittens that fit and stay on are a particularly big issue for children with limb differences.
For several years, mimiTENS has made custom mittens and donated to organizations that support the limb differences. Every pair of mittens we have made for getIN has been paid for, with pleasure, by me.
The ball really got rolling when mimiTENS earned its patents in Canada and the USA. That is when I knew it was absolutely safe to be more proactive in talking about this project and even try to promote it.
It has always been my intention to use my invention for good. It was always my intention for this to be a zero-profit project. Ultimately, I wanted to create a way for people to pay-it-forward and now I think I have got it.
We learn by doing, and these are the things that I have learned making custom mittens for kids with limb differences.
1) When parents would reach out because they needed special mittens, I always gave them the option for a mitten with a thumb or a flat mitten to accommodate their children's needs. Half the parents chose mittens with thumbs. Half the parents chose flat mittens. I want to offer both.
2) I saw more left hands than right hands needing special attention. This is a very unscientific observation but it made me realize that I need to come up with a way to be more efficient in manufacturing so that we could make more mittens!
3) If a special mitten gets lost, uh oh, really no good.
4) Parents feel shy to ask for the mittens. They want to pay for them. I feel bad taking people's money for this. So I needed a solution.
5) Shipping is really expensive. Sending the mittens cost me about $20 a pair. It gets in the way of how many mittens that I can make.
Here are my solutions for 2021.
If you order a pair of mimiTENS for a child with a limb difference, we will add the special flat mittens for free.
If you want to make a bulk order of mittens for kids with limb differences, please reach out to us. We will make them at cost.
If you and your kiddo want to participate in creative and art classes this fall and winter, we are making arrangements for these. COVID-dependent for sure but we are working on some in-person cool things.
with all my heart,
PS: There is a getIN PROJECT website. I am having to take it down because it is just too confusing to have both. Also, people know that it is a mimiTENS jam.